The St Andrews Play Club was founded by A B Paterson and a group of theatre enthusiasts in 1933. They adapted the old cow byre on Abbey Street into a theatre and from 1933 to 1970 the St Andrews Play Club ran the Byre Theatre 1. They not only mounted their own productions but also hired professional staff to produce plays from Easter till Christmas.
When the new theatre was opened in 1970 the St Andrews Play Club ceased to exist and the new Byre Theatre Company Ltd took over the running of Byre Theatre 2. The amateur company attached to Byre 2 for the first few years was the Andrew Soutar Company, comprising members of the old Play Club. This Club mounted an annual production immediately before the professional season to raise funds for the theatre.
The Play Club was reconstituted in 1977. At that time A B Paterson directed the plays, and the finishing touches were added by whoever was the professional Director of Productions for the year. Stage One was the youth section of the Play Club that operated from 1982-1990. In 1990 it was merged with other youth theatre groups in the town (Crawford and Cosmos) to become StAYT, the forerunner of Byre Youth Theatre (BYT).